Theme Design Guidelines
The following are a series of guidelines we use when designing themes. These are designed to ensure our themes are as flexible and easy to use as possible.
theme developer guidelines on WordPress.com should be followed.
From a technical perspective, the
Recommended to Support
- Featured Images.
- Keep featured images in consistent proportions so that users can more easily predict thumbnail shapes & image crops.
- No images should be included as part of the theme. The only images on the site should be ones uploaded by the theme user (featured images, custom header etc).
- Use SVGs for site icons and any visual elements that can't be reproduced through CSS.
- Google Fonts/ default fonts. Never bundle fonts.
- Jetpack Social media icons (controlled through a custom menu).
- Alternate design for sticky posts on archive pages.
Can Optionally Support
Must not Support
- Admin options page.
- Bundled plugins.
- Anything that changes the default admin experience.