- The Elemental theme (which is included, for free, when you purchase Exhibitor)
- Wordpress 3+
- PHP 4+ and a MySQL database
- A host server with GD library (very common)
- Note: You do not need to purchase Elemental separately. It comes included with your purchase of "Exhibitor"
Exhibitor is a child theme for Elemental, a larger framework, which means both must be installed in your /themes/ directory, though only Exhibitor needs to be activated. For more on child themes, please view the screencast. Users new to either theme should also read the Elemental documentation first.
- First read the Elemental configuration docs
- Setup WordPress on your web space (info on WordPress and Theme installation here)
- Download your theme from the accounts control panel.
- Install/ Upload the Elemental theme files to your web space. Elemental is required for Exhibitor to work, however you do not need to activate it. There are sometimes problems with using the WordPress theme uploader so you may need to upload the theme files manually using an ftp client
- Install/ Upload Exhibitor on your website.
- Visit Exhibitor > Options and edit anything else, from typography to navigation
- For information on creating custom Site Styles check out the tutorial here
Adding new gallery or portfolio entries (called Exhibits) to your website is nice and straight forward. Exhibits are a separate type of post and are created and updated as such.
The Exhibits menu can be found in the left hand sidebar, directly below the posts menu. Inside this menu group is an ‘Add New Exhibit’ option and clicking this gives you the familiar Post or Page edit screen. To add an image (or series of images) to your Exhibit simply use the standard WordPress media uploader. If you attach more than 1 image then the additional images will be displayed below the photo automatically.
Optionally you can also add some textual content to your Exhibit – if you don’t enter anything then it won’t display. Likewise the comments can be enabled or disabled from this screen.
Once you’re ready hit publish and you will be able to view your Exhibits on the homepage.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to buy Elemental when I buy Exhibitor?
Nope, Elemental comes bundled with Exhibitor for free, so one purchase gets you everything you need to get your website up and running.
- What if I’ve already purchased Elemental and want Exhibitor. Do I have to buy Elemental twice?
If you log in to your accounts panel, you will see a coupon that will deduct the cost of Elemental.
- What if I want to insert additional text or PHP functions
Depending where you want to insert this, Elemental/Exhibitor comes with plenty of extra content areas (action hooks) throughout the theme. Visit Exhibitor > Extras for more info and be sure to read the documentation on Action Hooks.
- How do I align the crop location in my post thumbnails?
The crop location can be selected from the ‘Thumbnail Crop Position‘ settings drop down, in the ‘Custom Post Details’ area of the write post page.