- A working copy of WordPress 3+
- PHP 5.2+ and a MySQL database
- Setup WordPress on your web space (info on WordPress and Theme installation here)
- Download your theme from the accounts control panel.
- Install/ Upload the theme on your website. There are sometimes problems with using the WordPress theme uploader so you may need to upload the theme files manually using an ftp client
- After uploading the theme you should change the folder permissions for the accumulo/tools/cache directory to 777
- Login to the WordPress admin on your website (yoursite.com/wp-admin/) and activate the theme (appearance > themes).
- Once activated you can start setting things up – so go to the Accumulo Options at the bottom of the main WordPress menu. Here you can name your homepage tabs and determine their order.
- After tabs are set up, visit “Appearance > Widgets” and insert content for your homepage, sidebars and footer
- For your homepage feeds, use the feeds named “RSS Feed” which can be inserted as many times as you want
- If you’re an author, click the Users > Your Profile and insert your biographical information. Your photo will automatically be inserted using Gravatars (more information on Gravatar.com).
- Switch on your custom templates (Contact, Archives) by clicking ‘Pages’ > ‘Add New’, and applying the appropriate template in the “Template” pulldown menu.
- Search around the forums and read what people are doing with Accumulo
- If you haven’t already, go set up an account at Gravatar.com for your author photo
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I speed up my feeds?
Because of all the content you’re pulling down, there is sometimes a lag in loading feeds on the homepage, although Accumulo comes with its own caching functions. But you can improve performance every further by installing the WP Super Cache plugin.
- Where is the search bar?
This can be included in the sidebar as a widget
- How do I add author photos on the archive pages?
The author archive photo corresponds to your gravatar.com account, which must be set up beforehand
- I created a new feed category on the homepage, but why doesn’t it show up?
Your tab won’t show up until feeds have been added to it.
- How do I add custom pages like Blog and Archives?
These two templates come with Accumulo and can be activated by:
- In the WordPress admin create a new page
- Select the relevant page template from the page attributes section when editing your page
- Publish the page
- How do I find the favicons for the websites I will be including on my page?
If no favicon is displayed then Accumulo tries to work them out intelligently and automatically however this doesn’t always work. In these cases there is actually a really clever way to find favicons using Google. Simply take the url : http://www.google.com/s2/favicons?domain=prothemedesign.com and replace prothemedesign.com with the url of the website you want to use the icon from.
- Why do my tabs not display?
In order for the tabs to display you should do two things.
- Give them names in the Accumulo options page
- Assign widgets in the widget editor
Without these two things the theme will assume the tab should be hidden and will appear empty.
- How can I customise my blogs menus?
WordPress 3.0 introduced custom menus, and Accumulo supports these, however they work in a slightly different way to other themes. To make use of the menus you must set up a new menu in your website settings (appearance -> menus) and then go to the theme options and select the newly created menu in the ‘Main Navigation’ setting. The menu will then display on your website.
- Will Accumulo work with any Post Ratings plugins?
Unfortunately Accumulo will not work with any post ratings plugins as seen on WPTopics.com. WPTopics was inspiration for the Accumulo theme however we built it in a more flexible, but this had the side effect that post ratings plugins no longer work.